Saturday, October 18, 2008

Nevada or California?

  

So I've been thinking a lot about the good things about Nevada and the things I miss about California and for some reason I feel like blogging about it! I think that maybe the things I say may only be about Las Vegas rather than Nevada as a whole...so just keep that in mind! 

Okay so I really miss the trees in Chico! I'm especially missing them right now in the fall because I know that the leaves are starting to turn colors! (Feel free to take pictures of them for me and put them on your blogs :)  ) I also of course miss my family and friends-that's a given! I miss going over to my parents house every Sunday for dinner and walking in Bidwell park and seeing all of my Grandparents! I miss going to Oroville to be with Chris' family at Grandma and Grandpa's house and going to see Grandma Clabaugh and listening to her stories about her "neighbors" doing crazy things! I miss getting together for $1.00 ice cream with the cool girls from 4th ward for someone's birthday! There are some good things in Vegas though! I'm seriously amazed at how many stores there are! Honestly, I've never seen this many grocery stores so close together, it's nuts! For example, within a 10 minute drive I can go to (several of each) Von's, Smith's, Albertson's, Walmart, Food4Less, Kmart (yes there are groceries at the super one), Fresh and Easy, and I'm sure there are more! It's making me pretty lazy! It's also nice to be so close to other stores...I'm within five minutes drive of a Kohl's, Costco, Babysrus, Burlington, Macy's, Nordstrom Rack, the Mall, Old Navy, Target, and tons of others, those are just my most favorites!! Also, Vegas has 3 sets of outlets!! They pretty much have the same stores but 3!!! That's not counting all the shopping on the Strip (which is endless).  The restaurants are also endless. On the street we live on there is a Mimi's, Macaroni Grill, Applebees, Marie Calendars, lots of smaller restaurants and then around the corner there is a Claim Jumper, Olive Garden, TGI Friday's and many others! So yes, Vegas is a shopper's/eaters paradise (I just wish I was rich so I could buy it all :) haha).  You know what is so weird though? Dentist's offices here are more like competitive businesses than in Cali...In CA they are just like Drs. offices but here they are EVERYWHERE! They advertise by saying things like " Get a free Wii with your first appointment!" and they are like in every strip mall...it's so weird!!  I also really like the mountains...they almost make up for the trees, but not quite!  
So to all of you Californian's who think "Who the heck would live in Nevada?" I say..."Not so bad, Not so bad!"

5 comments:

Becker said...

Wait til February and you're missing the light pink almond blossoms...or December even when the grass here is dead and dried up and the grass is finally starting to spring up in CA like you imagine an Irish hillside. Good for you though! Way to think on the positive.
Wistfully California dreamin'...

DD said...

There are no trees here in Utah either so I miss Chico with you! That's so nice you have all the good shopping near you. The next time we drive through Vegas to go to Southern California we'll have to stop by! By the way, thanks for posting your favorite sites! I got some great ideas off there for my kids! Have a good weekend!
Deanna

Mason & Laura said...

I miss the trees in California at this time of year too :( I can't believe you are SO close to SO many things!! All those grocery stores...I can't believe it. LUCKY!! That makes me laugh about the dental offices ... I think it's cause LV is one of the #1 places to make the BIG bucks so all the dentists must want to go there.

Megs said...

I say all that shopping (including food shopping) beats out orange and red trees any day! I'm jealous! And, I would like a Wii with my first dentist appointment! We miss you guys, and we REALLY miss Ellie! I had a dream about you last night...my dream was that I called you and asked about how the baby was doing and you replied that she had already been born and was healthy! I hope that all is going well with that!
We love you guys!

Em said...

so funny how you can get to used anywhere really:-) the first year we lived in utah all i wanted to do was move back to rexburg. while i still love it there, utah's not so bad afterall!