Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hannah Banana Update

Yes, I'm already calling her Hannah Banana, I can't help it...nicknames are just part of how my brain works...Ellie already has a million nicknames, poor girl! So anyways...I wanted to update y'all on Hannah.  We got an ultrasound today and were able to come away feeling a lot more hope and assurance for our little girly #2!  First the cardiologist came to see if there was a hole in her heart and there for sure wasn't!! Yay for that! (Last 2 ultrasounds he came and couldn't tell for sure if there was or not but this one he said he could see the heart much better!)  The baby's measurements last ultrasound showed that her head and her stomach were under the 5h percentile (I don't know if I explained it completely right last time) but this time just her stomach was.  Her head made a solid 4 weeks of growth in the last 4 weeks so that's good that she's not as behind.  Overall her weight is at the 19th percentile.  The doctor said that he's almost 100% sure that it is a placenta deficiency problem.  He said that it looks like the baby is compensating for the deficiency by sending the blood and nutrients to the most vital organs like the brain and heart but the stomach is not as important so it's not getting enough to grow to where it's supposed to be.  So the doctor said that we would continue to watch the growth and that I would come in frequently to have the baby monitored just to make sure she's okay and not in distress or anything.  He also said that it will for sure be a planned delivery (either induced or c-section) and that it will most likely be between 34 to 36 weeks.  That's just an estimation-it could be earlier or later but probably best to fall in between!  Thanks to all of you for your prayers and support!

7 comments:

Mason & Laura said...

ohhhh what a much more hopeful ultrasound! I'm so glad the appointment went so well -- and that the Dr.s seem to be taking good care of you. I actually have an aunt who had a similar issue with one of her pregnancies, and she delivered a healthy baby! Anyway, we will continue to keep Hanna Banana (and you) in our prayers!!!!

Joanie Demer said...

Glad you got some good news from your ultrasound. We'll keep praying that her body can be healthy and whole. I pray that this will just be the rocky first chapter in a long, beautiful, happy life for Hannah. A girl who prioritizes her brain over her stomach. . . I could take a lesson from that. :) God Bless you all.

Jen said...

Just so you know, there are several babies in Aiden's nursery born at or around 26 weeks, and though they've been there awhile, they're doing great, and will be just fine. Please keep me posted, and ask any questions you have. I'll be praying for you and your little Hannah. Seriously, Leah--as scary as this seems, it's not as big a deal as it used to be, and has actually been a very spiritual experience. Hospitals are wonderful places, and miracles occur on a daily basis. Let me know if you want to talk about your fears/concerns--I've been there! Thank Heavens she's started growing again! What a little blessing she already is to you guys.

Becker said...

I'm so glad she's doing okay!! Those are the kinds of things you can live/deal with. And hey--all the sooner to get to see your angel baby girl. How's your toe doing?

DD said...

I'm so glad to hear that your Hannah Banana is doing okay. I didn't even know that there had been concerns with her. I'll keep you guys in my prayers! How do you think Ellie will do with a new baby in the house?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got some pretty good news! That's great! I know it's best for babies to stay in the womb the whole time... but I have to admit that I am jealous you get to see yours even sooner. :) We'll still be keepin' your little one in our prayers!

Tammy said...

Wow - glad all is well. Cute Halloween pics too. :)